Child Support

Otsego and Elk River Child Support Attorney

Minnesota law requires both parents to contribute to the support of their children. Whether you're paying child support or receiving it, the money is important, and you want to be sure you are not paying more, or receiving less, than the law calls for. At Two Rivers Law, we ensure that your rights are protected, but it's not just about your bottom line. It's about making sure your children are taken care of. We'll help you obtain a child support order that is fair to both you and your children.

Determining the Right Amount of Child Support

Minnesota statutes set forth a formula for determining child support. The formula is based on the parties' incomes and how much time each parent spends with the children. It also takes into account who pays for medical and dental insurance, who pays for day care, and several other factors. While courts presume a parent will pay the amount determined by the guidelines, they will deviate up or down from those guidelines under certain circumstances. If you have questions about the proper amount of child support to be paid in your situation, call us for a free consultation about your case.

Child Support Enforcement

There can be serious consequences for failure to pay court-ordered child support. The County may enforce a child support order by seeking denial or revocation of your driver's license, seizure of tax refunds and other collection actions, and even jail time for contempt of court. We can help you enforce your existing child support judgment by reducing the arears to a judgment. If you are unable to pay as ordered, we can help you negotiate with the County while your motion to modify your support obligation is pending.

The family law attorneys at Two Rivers Law have experience with both sides of these disputes. If child support is an issue in your divorce, or if you need help with any child support matter, contact us to discuss how we can help you obtain a child support order that is fair to both you and your children.