Discussing spousal maintenance

On Behalf of | Jun 16, 2017 | Divorce

Spousal maintenance (sometimes called alimony or spousal support) is an integral part to the post-divorce life of many Minnesota residents. This form of financial support is determined by a judge, who will look at a bevy of factors involved in the spouses’ relationship, including the financial potential of the spouses, the health of the spouses, the length of the marriage, the property and assets involved, and many other factors.

But there are also different types of spousal maintenance. While it is possible to be awarded “permanent” spousal maintenance, which sees one of the spouses pay the other spouse indefinitely after a divorce, “temporary divorce” can also be awarded. This is where a court outlines a set period of time that one spouse will have to pay the other after a divorce.

In either case, both people involved in the spousal maintenance arrangement should be keep track of these payments. Pay by check if you can, and keep carbon copies of the payments. If cash is used for the transaction, then the individuals involved should create a receipt that is signed by both parties. Tracking the information of each payment (the amount, the date, the addresses used, etc.) arms you with information that you can utilize in case of any post-divorce litigation or legal action.

If you are getting divorced in the state of Minnesota and are in need of legal representation, please consider Two Rivers Law P.A. We are experienced family law attorneys that can help you with your divorce.