Representing Individuals And Businesses For More Than 10 Years

Two Rivers Law P.A.




Representing Individuals And Businesses For More Than 10 Years

Protecting The Rights Of Nonparents

When a couple divorces, many other people are involved in addition to the divorcing couple. The children are affected, but other relatives who are not the children’s parents can also be deeply affected by a relative’s divorce. This could include grandparents, aunts, uncles and others. Often these nonparents have built important relationships with the children over many years, and they want to maintain those relationships after the divorce.

At Two Rivers Law P.A., our experienced child custody lawyer David Cox assists people in protecting their nonparent rights in relationships with the children. Call our office in Otsego to discuss your circumstances in a free consultation at 763.575.7911.

Proof Is Required For Visitation Rights Of Grandparents

In cases where you want to protect the visitation rights of grandparents, two things must be proven in order to establish legal visitation rights. First, the grandparent must prove that it is in the best interest of the child to have visitation with that grandparent. Second, it must be proven that visitation with the grandparent will not create a barrier or problem for the parent in their relationship with the child.

What Is Third-Party Custody?

In Minnesota, custodial agreements involving third parties become involved when someone other than a child’s legal parents has custody of the child. Through family court, these agreements are governed by the De Facto Custodian and Interested Third Party law. The process for custody can be complicated, but it starts with filing a petition in the court for custody.

As in traditional child custody cases, judges in third-party cases look at best interest factors for determining what custody arrangements will be best for the children involved.

Two Rivers Law P.A. can also assist you with stepparent adoptions and modification of custody agreements.

Get A Free Consultation

For more than 10 years, attorney David Cox has assisted nonparents in Minnesota in protecting their relationships with children. His office is located in Otsego, and he frequently works with clients in Elk River and in the northwest suburbs of the Twin Cities. Call him today at 763.575.7911 to discuss your rights in a free consultation. You can also reach him by email.